top of page

Meeting Minutes LHWR Democrats

Updated: Apr 30, 2023



MARCH 24, 2023

PRESENT: Charles Gearing, President; Tim Sexton, Treasurer; Judy Garrett, Vice President Membership; Caren Cool, Vice President Activities; Bruce Anton, Vice President (via phone late)

Charles convened the meeting at 4:50

PRESIDENT REPORT (Charles Gearing)

Confirmed start time for April meeting at 10:00. Will notify Brian. Council candidates can arrive at 9:30 to pass out campaign literature. Tim to contact CC Young to arrange theater-style seating for the meeting. Austin Lobby Day moved from March 28 (bus information not back; too soon to orchestrate) to possibly Friday, April 28th. For the May picnic, Charles suggested calling and inviting precinct chairs. Judy Garrett volunteered to do that. Charles also suggested an option of a discount to precinct chairs to our club. Decision still pending. For the June meeting, Nathan Johnson not confirmed, but appears to be on his calendar. Charles had questions submitted by Joan Covici for a member’s survey, but still needs some additional input. Board agreed that a survey is beneficial. Charles talked about LHWR club lending support to precinct chairs with help recruiting block captains, welcoming new residents and possible fundraisers. No discussion was had. Charles talked to Jeff Dalton and no club money needs to be sent now, but will need help getting the word out for the Justice Tour Event on August 26th. Charles feels the club needs a vision plan and offered Stonewall Democrat’s 2028 vision as a possible guideline.


Bruce said he was sending out letters to council candidates (precincts 2, 9. 10, 14) with 2 designated topics. A third topic could be of their choosing and Tim said he would monitor time closely. Bruce also suggested the forum come at the start of the meeting with club business following.


Tim clarified the budget splits the club’s happy hour expenses between club and precinct chairs. He suggested a point person at each happy hour to buy appetizer(s) or precinct chairs a drink compliments of the club. Caren suggested to entice happy hour goers and avoid confusion, buy a gift card and have a drawing. No decision was finalized. Tim gave the current bank balance at $6,744.79.


Judy said the current paid membership stands about 200.


Caren wanted to thank all board members for help picking up after the last club meeting due to her absence. She passed out picnic planners to designate who will be responsible for what. Picnic sign-up sheets will be out again at the April meeting and the planner sheets will be addressed again at the next April board meeting.

ADJOURMENT The meeting was adjourned at 6:10pm.

Respectively submitted (in lieu of Debbie’s fabulous minutes)

Caen Cool, Vice President Activities

41 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All
bottom of page